Monday, August 22, 2011

sanctuary

a corner of my studio
Welcome to "the joyful potter" - that's me, at least when I'm throwing clay.


I started out taking classes at Kevin Lehman's Pottery, going with a friend.  It was a whim, something fun to do after eight intense years of raising three young daughters, close in age.  (I've since added a son.)  It was also a stretch for this bookish organizer, since I knew precious little about the class other than when it started and how much it cost.  No sign of a syllabus anywhere.  It was just what I needed.


The first night of class, I was hooked.  Not by my own success, to be sure, but by watching the clay become, under the capable hands of our instructor.  To take a lump of mud, wedge it into uniformity, guide it to center on a whirring wheel, and gently pull it into a form both useful and beautiful - what more could a mere human hope for?  I longed to do the same.


That was three years ago.  I've been throwing ever since, whenever I can afford classes or studio time.  I hope you get the chance to try it, too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment